- Birthday (a great message to read each day).
- First Communion (a gift they will treasure always).
- College (great reminder when away from home).
First Communion is such a special time in a child’s life, a day they have long been waiting for, a day when they receive the body and blood of Christ. It’s usually when they are 8 or 9 years old, in the second grade, and they wear a pretty white dress or suit, have family over to celebrate, and you bring them a gift. But what to bring? Often they will get a cross, bible or rosary from their parents or sponsor, and you’re not sure what else to give? Well here are 5 meaningful gifts you can give boys or girls for their First Communion that they are sure to enjoy.
1. A religious movie. There are lots of them out there, but I really like WWJD (What Would Jesus Do). It encourages children to stop and think, that they have a choice in how they behave, and that in all situations we should try to imitate how Jesus would act.
2. A keepsake box. This can be any type of box (shoebox or cigar box) and you can personally decorate it to be special just from you! Often it is fun to put their name on it. Having a box to put all the little treasures your receive really encourages gratitude. Years later it is also fun to take out and recollect where the items came from, once again encouraging the meaning and gratitude of when received it. is
Here is a simple homemade one I seen from a blog, that uses a document storage box.
But there are also boxes you can buy such as this John 3:16 Keepsake Box.
3. A coloring book. This God Made Just One Coloring Book has large detailed pages to color with great messages in it. It also comes with die-cut pages so you can frame the coloring or artwork. How fun it would be to give this coloring book and some frames letting the child create and decorate their room with these powerful words.
4. Unique Money Gift. It is always fun to get a special bill or coin, not to spend, but to keep. Some ideas of this would be a $2 bill, a silver dollar, a coin from another country, or even a savings bond. This would be a great thing for them to remember you by, and put in a keepsake box!
5. A prayer book. There are lots of different prayer books to choose from, but I really like Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling for Kids. She has a unique way of reminding us God is there with us each step of the way, each day! A message we want for young children, as their relationship with Christ grows into a friendship!
6. A personalized pennant. The Lord’s Blessings pennant reads: May the Lord bless you and keep you. May he shine his face upon you and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26, and can be personalized on the bottom. You can put the child’s name, their nickname, who it is from, or my first Communion on it too!
7. A tree. This can be any tree of any size. Planting it, caring for it, and watching it grow can be symbolic of their faith. As the tree grows bigger and stronger over they years, so will have the child and their faith. When grown, what a amazing thing to look back on and see a tree that grew to an adult with you.
8. A hold for their cards and artwork. This Celebrate Cardholder is a fun way to celebrate a big occasion. It also would be a great place in a child’s room to hang their pictures, cards, and special artwork.
8 simple and unique ways to celebrate with your First Communion boy or girl! Giving a gift that not only show them God cares and love them, but that you do too!